The first hotel-keeper at Afholdshotellet (Temperance Hotel), which it was called, was named Grundtmann Svendsen, and he ran the hotel until 1933, when Hansigne Koch took it over, after relinquishing the operation of the inn and grocer’s shop on Christiansø. She ran the hotel until 1939, when it was taken over by Aage and Esther Tranberg.
They ran the hotel until 1 April 1970, when Ruben and Birte Wolfsberg bought the venue, and changed the name from Afholdshotellet to Hotel Gudhjem, which it is still called to this day. Under Ruben and Birte Wolfsberg’s ownership, the hotel underwent its most sweeping refurbishment and expansion with all the features that belong to a modern hotel.
They originally ran the venue as an ordinary hotel, but after a few years, they entered into a contract with EGV, which used the hotel for a few years until 1975, when the couple signed a contract with 65-Ferie (the then “Pensionistrejser”, charter travel for senior citizens). In 1993, first Ruben Wolfsberg and then Birte Wolfsberg passed away, after which their sons Morten and Michael Wolfsberg, and wives Marianne and Stine, took over the hotel and continued to refurbish it. They jointly ran the hotel until 2003, when Michael and Stine Wolfsberg took over sole ownership of the hotel. The hotel is undergoing improvements all the time, and is now Gudhjem’s biggest hotel venue.